Friday, December 30, 2005

Pizza and Poker

Back to the ten minute thing. It's my attempt to blog more here.

I've been eating a lot of pizza since I returned to NYC. I can never get old of pizza. It's pretty cheap especially for NYC standards, and there have been stretches in my life where I lived solely off of a pizza diet. There's one pizza place near Briana's aparment that has great walk-in Sicilian slices. You have to ask them to make it "not so hot" because their ovens are scorching hot. There's the local joint near Derek's apatment where we order pies from. Got a pepperoni pie and a chicken parm from there the other day. Good ass eats.

I've been eating bagels, knishes, and donuts as well.

I finally caught up on all my email. My inboxes had less than 10 emails total. Unreal. It's never been that low. I've been behind this entire year. My voicemails have been piling up though.

I played a ton of online poker this week. Without any deadlines to meet, I've finally had the chance to sit around and play with friends and in a couple of Wil Wheaton's tournaments. That was one thing I missed the most... playing online for hours straight. About a year ago, I was playing online 30-40 hours a week plus another 10+ hours or so live. It was my full time job for a while and I grinded away a living playing on Party Poker a few hours everyday. I'm hoping to find more time to play in 2006 and try to supplement some of my income from playing in bigger stakes games.

This week has been up and down. I started on a winning streak then had one awful night, followed up by another winning night, followed by a terrible night. I'm in the hole this week and it sucks to end the year on a losing streak. Oh well. You need to have a cool head in order to handle the swings. usually when I calculate my losses, I equate my daily downswing in terms of airplane tickets. On Tuesday, I lost a roundtrip flight to Paris. Last night I lost a roundtrip ticket to Miami. On Wednesday I won a roundtrip flight to Bangkok.

I'm such an addict. I crave action. Grubby and I are awful sometimes. We stand in front of a doorway and gamble on the sex of the person who's going to walk through next.

Ah, I forgot... I also got into trouble for cursing in the chat on Poker Stars last night. If I do it again, I lose my chat privledges. Some one at my table ratted me out for using the word "asscock."

Moving on... Briana got me Clerks, the 10th anniversary edition on DVD for Christmas. I also got 4 copies of Chasing Amy. Hmmm... 2 Kevin Smith flicks this year. How come no one got me Mallrats? I watched Chasing Amy but haven't peeked at Clerks yet.

When I lived in Seattle, I got into Hal Harley films. A friend of mine was infatuated with Hal Hartley and I ended up in a stoned stupor watching his entire collection of films. I'm been on the road so much the past year, I'm way behind in movie watching. I've been trying to catch a slew of new-to-cable flicks that I've never seen before. National Treasure blew ass chunks. In a five year period, Nick Cage did some awful movies with the exception of Adaptation which makes my Top 35 movies of all time list. One decent flick in a five years is enough to keep your street cred in Hollyweird is it? Ayway check out the sad list of flicks:
  1. National Treasure (2004) .... Ben Gates
  2. Matchstick Men (2003) .... Roy Waller
  3. Adaptation. (2002) .... Charlie Kaufman/Donald Kaufman
  4. Sonny (2002) .... Acid Yellow
  5. Windtalkers (2002) .... Sergeant Joe Enders
  6. Christmas Carol: The Movie (2001) (voice) .... Jacob Marley
  7. Captain Corelli's Mandolin (2001) .... Captain Corelli
  8. The Family Man (2000) .... Jack Campbell
  9. Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) .... Randall 'Memphis' Raines
What is sadder is that I've see all but 2 movies on this list. I should be shot.

Grubby doesn't have TV in his apartment so when we were hanging out in Change100's hotel room in Las Vegas, we watched MTV's Super Sweet 16. It was a car wreck of a reality show featuring spoiled little brats who are bitching about their $100K Sweet 16 parties. I was disgusted at that wasted wealth and resources and yet I watched a two-hour marathon loving every second of that filth. Man, if we didn't have a gambling addiction, we would have watched another two hours of it.

Recent Writing Music...
1. Eric Clapton
2. Pink Floyd
3. Shuggie Otis
4. Lou Reed
5. Vida Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment