Saturday, October 30, 2004

Breeders Cup Saturday and Other Tales of Bacon Consumption

I love bacon. Who doesn't? I've had bacon with several of my meals in the last ten days. One of my favorite diner breakfast plates is French toast with a side of bacon. I love bacon garnishing my cheese burgers. I'm a big fan of grilled chicken breast sandwiches with bacon. And I also dig bacon sandwiches... usually on a Kaiser roll with a slice of melted cheese. For breakfast today, I ate a scrumcious bacon sandwich with a slice of American cheese and green tea to drink.

The Ponies!



OK, now let's talk about one of the most exciting days of the year in horse racing. Today is the 21st annual Breeders Cup which for the first time ever is being held in Texas, at Lone Star racetrack in Grand Prairie, Texas (the midway point between Dallas and Fort Worth). The last few months I started tracking some of my favorite horses and I ready for a huge payday especially after I took the advice of Boy Genius and his write ups on The Final Strides.

So here are my picks for this afternoon's races at the Breeders Cup:
Mile: Artie Schiller, Nothing to Lose, and Special Ring
Sprint: Champali, Midas Eyes, Speightstown
F&M Turf: Aubonne, Ouija Board
Juvenile: Proud Accolade, Sun King
Turf: Kitten's Joy, Magistretti
Classic: Ghostzapper, Funny Cide, Pleasantly Perfect

And for two other races...
Distaff: Ashado, Society Selection, Storm Flag Flying
Juvenile Fillies: Sense of Style, Mona Lisa, Sweet Catomine

Of course everyone's attention is on the Classic. The $4 Million purse is the richest Breeders Cup final race in history... with Horse of the Year honors still up for grabs. I'm a big fan of Ghostzapper. That's where the bulk on my money is today.

Live Updates...

1:35pm EST... Ashado(2-1 favorite) won the Distaff by 2 lengths. Storm Flag ridden by Jerry Bailey was 2nd. 1/1 so far today, although that was an easy pick. I hit my fist exacta of the day 1-7 for $34.

2:04pm EST... Sweet Catomine starting from the extreme outside, won by almost four lengths... and I hit my second winner of the afternoon. Jerry Bailey couldn't win with Balleto when he got caught in a jam on the final stretch. I hit my second exacta which paid $29. Mona Lisa came in next to last!

2:41pm EST... Artie Schiller started out slow and I missed a winner. And Singletary, named after former Bears linebacker, held on to win the Mile over the long shot Antious Pius.

3:17pm EST... BG called it right! Speightstown won the Sprint by two lengths and set a new course record in 1:08. I picked another winner and moved to 3/4 for the afternoon.

3:53pm EST... F & M Turf race and Moscow Buring got off to a quick start and led from start through the last two furlongs, until Ouija Board, the favorite came on strong and won by two lengths. I picked another winner!

4:27pm EST... Wilko upset the field on his first start on dirt. Ouch. 4/6 for the day.

5:05pm EST... Damn. Kittens Joy finished second to Better Talk Now, but there was a lot of sketchy action going on in the back stretch. Alas, after the inquiry, the results were offical. Kitten Joy was upset.

5:40pm EST... Briana's great aunt MaryLou owns Birdstone. Small world, eh? Ghostzapper won in 1:59 in the field of 12. Very nice. Call that one too. I finished 5 out of 8 for the day and nailed two exactas.

No comments:

Post a Comment