Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Great Woods Part 1: Senor's Last Show
"Do you actually think I like ditching my wife and kid to hang out with 19 year-old girls all afternoon?" - Vince Vaughn, Old School
8.10.04 The Phish, Great Woods, MA

Set 1: AC/DC Bag, Heavy Things, Punch You in the Eye, Wolfman's Brother, Theme From the Bottom, Birds of a Feather

Set 2: Mike's Song > I am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove***, A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing > Piper > Makisupa Policeman, Dog Faced Boy, Friday, Harry Hood

Encore: Possum

Notes *** Trey tells story about the origin of "Weekapaug Groove" and "A Song I heard the Ocean Sing".

Well, I managed to arrive in Providence without any entaglements with law enforcement officials!! Senor and I got to the venue kinda early. We were Great Woods vets after seeing The Dead less than a week before. I had spent 21 hours in a car since Monday morning. We had lawn seats. I called AC DC Bag, PYITE, and Hood. The boys always seem to play AC DC Bag whenever I go see a show with Senor (They played it in Brooklyn). They have the vibe that Senor's in the building, so they bust it out! PYITE was amazing. I had waited a very long time to hear PYITE and it was cool that I got to see it with Senor. Hearing that break out tune was worth the show. The jams in Wolfman's and Birds were intense, and the highlights of this run so far. Theme is always an awesome tune to hear. Mike Gordon was the MVP of the night. He was milking some phatty bass licks all night.

I found Emi and Junko at setbreak. They are true fans. Emi flew from Osaka, Japan that day and arrived in America in the late afternoon and went straight to the show. Set 2 was interesting. Heavy hitters right off the bat with Mike's Song. Trey told the crowd how they came up with Weekapaug after visiting a friend and a beach party in Weekapaug, Rhode Island (just 20 minutes from Senor's house). Piper was cool, but after the Saratoga Piper, I duno if I can hear that song again without comparing it to the best version I ever heard.

I thought it was fitting the boys played Makisupa Policeman. Not only is it my favorite song, but they knew I had problems with Smokey in Virginia. Kind of a message to me: "Dr. Pauly... we're glad you made it without getting thrown in jail!" Hood and Possum = Happy Pauly. So far two solid encores in a row. FYI did you know that Phish had only encored David Bowie 5 times in their history??

Getting out of the lot was a nightmare. Ah, oh well!

Miles Driven: 1017
States Visited: 9 (including NY)
Speeding Tickets: 1
Phish Concerts: 2
Gas + Tolls: $101.50
Random Hugs from Hippie Girls: 6

Tonight seems like a Tweezer night. I'm calling Tube and Halley's Comet as well. Going with Jay for his last show. Time for golf and then I'm going to target with Jodd and Ang.

No comments:

Post a Comment