Friday, June 25, 2004

Week 6: Pauly-BG Weekly Wager

I sent this email to Boy Genius.

From the road. My turn. Please blog for us. Give me your answers on Saturday.

I have only seen Phish or the Grateful Dead in 5 of the cities. In the 5 others, I didn't see either.

Did I see Phish, The Grateful Dead, or NONE in the following cities:

1. Amsterdam, Holland
2. Reyjavik, Iceland
3. Toronto, Canada
4. Boise, ID
5. San Francisco, CA
6. Portland, OR
7. Buffalo, NY
8. Austin, TX
9. Minneapolis, MN
10. Charlotte, NC
11. Denver, CO
12. Jackson, WY
13. DC
14. Hampton, VA
15. Chapel Hill, NC

Make sure you pick 5 Phish cities, 5 Dead cities, and 5 NONE cities. If you get 4 correct, you will win.

BONUS: there is one city on the list I HAVE NOT VISITED, pick that and you get one bonus point.

best of luck,
McG


And now... here's what Boy Genius guessed:
My Guesses...

Did Pauly see Phish, The Grateful Dead, or NONE in the following cities:

1. Amsterdam, Holland... I can't imagine Pauly NOT having been to Amsterdam. I'm going to guess that he saw THE DEAD in the Dam
2. Reyjavik, Iceland... I've read "The Blind Kangaroo," and I think that rules out Pauly NOT having been to Reyjavik. But did he see a concert there? I'm going to guess that he SAW PHISH play in Iceland.
3. Toronto, Canada... I fully believe Pauly wouldn't open up his numerical selections with one of each (Dead/Phish/Neither), plus, Toronto seems like a likely Pauly destination for a show. Specifically, THE DEAD.
4. Boise, ID... No one goes to Boise on purpose. I also don't think Pauly would have such an obvious choice on this list for the one place he HASN'T been. I am therefore going to guess Pauly SAW PHISH in this city
5. San Francisco, CA... Too easy? The Dead are from San Francisco, but as I'm looking at this geographically, a roadie in the Pacific Northwest seems like it might not have resulted in a San Fran stopover. I'll say Pauly's been there, but NO SHOW was seen in Frisco.
6. Portland, OR... Hippies are abundant in Portland. He absolutely SAW PHISH in Portland.
7. Buffalo, NY... Chances are excellent Pauly's been to Buffalo, especially for a show. Let's say he saw THE DEAD up there.
8. Austin, TX... Pauly has neither been to Austin, nor has he seen a show. NO SHOW.
9. Minneapolis, MN... Ah, the crown jewel of the Twin Cities. This seems as out-of-the-way for Pauly as Boise and Jackson are, but maybe this is just an airport stop-over? NO SHOW in Minny.
10. Charlotte, NC... Two North Carolina picks? Sheesh, this gets hard. I'm thinking he saw a band in one, and no band in the other. Since Chapel Hill is a college town, Pauly saw NO SHOW in the land of the NBA's Bobcats.
11. Denver, CO... Denver seems like a great place to catch THE DEAD at old Mile High Stadium, right?
12. Jackson, WY... This was the toughest one of the bunch. I've been to Jackson Hole, and list it as one of my favorites spots on the planet. Frankly, there ain't much up there. But, since I confidently typed answers to every other entry on the list, I'm left with one remaining choice: Pauly saw THE DEAD here. I grit my teeth and await your answer.
13. DC... While I'm sure Pauly has visited the seat of our nation's government, I would bet that if you got technical about it, the concert venues Phish and the Dead would play in that area lie outside the city. In places like Hampton, VA. NO SHOW.
14. Hampton, VA... Pauly SAW PHISH here, possibly at some sort of festival.
15. Chapel Hill, NC... College town, and smart money says Pauly SAW PHISH on Tobacco Road.
My answers to follow in an upcoming blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment