Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Splading Gray's Body Found

Body Found in East River Solves Mystery of Missing Artist Spalding Gray... and some of you already know, my favorite author has been missing for almost two months. Here's a bit:
And it is his dry humor that may have the last word. In a 1997 interview he offered his own epitaph: "An American Original: Troubled, Inner-Directed and Cannot Type."
Thanks to several of you who sent me related links yesterday on finding Spalding Gray. Alas, I will be trying to organize a Spalding Gray tribute of sorts, perhaps viewing two of his films (Swimming to Cambodia and Monster in the Box) later on today or tomorrow.

When I lived in Seattle, my co-workers and housemates often drew comparisons of me to Spalding Gray. They said my matter-of-fact recanting of my daily life reminded them of Splading. In a weird moment, I had a random phone call with Senor sometime in late 1997. I was in Seattle, he was in his office in Midtown and he asked, "Dude, have you ever read Spalding Gray?" I laughed and told him what mostly everyone around me told me.... how I remind them of one of my favorite writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment