Friday, February 27, 2004

PGL Headaches

With 30 hours remaining in the deadline for Project Greenlight 3, I have run into a serious problem. According to the fine print of rules on the PGL site I am in deeeeeeep shit. Here's why:
Screenplays must be no less than 80 pages and no longer than 140 pages.
I can get around the PG-13 restriction that they have been touting, but the rule about screenplay length is the major headache. I mentioned that my script is over 217 pages in the standard industry format of 12 font. PGL restricts scripts to 140 pages. In essence, if I want to submit my script to PGL, then I must trim my script down by 70 pages... and cut out 1/3 of the entire screenplay, otherwise my entry will be disqualified.

Two words for Matt & Ben... Go fuck yourselves. I read Good Will Hunting and the Oscar winning script was over 180 pages.

I already toned down the drug use, the sex scenes, the incest and the gang rape scenes. The original screenplay would have gotten an NC-17 rating. I made a small concession already to tone down the content for an R audience, and I am unwilling to go any further.

I begrudgingly cut 10 pages out of the script, now at 207 pages. The screenplay stands as it is... and I will not chop it up for the schmucks over at PGL and Miramax. I don't give a shit if Harvey Wienstein could have me whacked in a heartbeat. If he wants to get the chance to make The Baby & Winky Movie... then he'll have to read all 207 pages of it. The first two PGL movies sucked moose cock. If they want a winner, they are going to have to take the time and read 70 extra pages. And if I get disqualified, oh well. I'll find someone else that will read my screenplay. I just won't be a pawn for the entertainment industry and churn out 90 minutes of mindless PG-13 crapola.

I have too much invested in my work and the characters to sell them out and tell a half-assed story with only 2/3 of the plot line. What would Goodfellas be like if 1/3 was cut out? Shit. That's what.

Anyway, thanks again to Alex at Prom On Mars for the support and telling me abou the news release. We're both utilizing the PGL format to promote our works instead of trying to win the contest. I applaud him for his efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment